Since 28 March 2019 there are some additional requirements for citizenship applications. Please note the following
- 4 photos of the person to be registered are required. 2 of these are to be signed appropriately, 2 photos are not signed
- All certified copies of documents e.g. passport, driver licence must be certified by the same witness who signs your declaration on the application form i.e. you cannot have your GP witness your declaration on the application form and then have your passport certified by a Justice of the Peace. It must be the same witness, with the same signature on all parts of the application
- Original certificates must be retained while the application is being processed and will be returned once processing is complete i.e. original certs cannot be sighted at the Consulate, copied, and then returned to you while the application is being processed
FAQs: Irish Citizenship
- Processing time is 6-9 months. However complex application may take longer.
- All certificates must be original. Photocopies or certified photocopies cannot be accepted
- A New Zealand civil marriage certificate will have no handwriting. Handwritten New Zealand marriage documents will not be accepted
- A Justice of the Peace is an approved professional, in addition to those listed on the printed application form, who can act as your witness in New Zealand. Remember that you must be known to your witness either personally or professionally.
- A check list of ‘Documentary Requirements’ will print with the application form after your have entered the details online. Everything on the check list must be submitted to make a complete application
What is the cost to apply for Foreign Birth Registration?
Application fee for adult (aged over 18 years) FBR is NZ$450
Application fee for minor (aged under 18 years) FBR is NZ$250
FBR fees can be paid by credit card via our website, or by personal cheque or bank cheque.
If you come into our office you can pay by cash or EFTPOS.
Please remember, if paying online, to include a copy of your receipt or write the receipt number on your application.
How long does it take to process an application for Irish citizenship?
At present it takes approximately 8 months to process a completed Foreign Birth Registration application. However, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration, it may take up to 12 months to process an application. If you are an expectant parent applying to be entered on the Foreign Birth Register, you should mark this clearly on your application.
Applications on behalf of a minor should be submitted at least four months before the minor turns 18 years old.
No travel arrangements should be made on the assumption of having Irish citizenship and then passport by a certain future date. Once you have received your FBR certificate, you may apply for an Irish passport.
You said that the supporting documents have to be originals but I don’t have the originals of some certificate what should I do?
When we say original documentation we mean that the document should be from the competent issuing authority –(ie not a photocopy and not a certified photocopy). You can obtain a new original from the competent authority.
Certificates from the Republic of Ireland can be obtained from General Register Office.
Certificates from Northern Ireland can be obtained from General Register Office Northern Ireland.